Thursday, January 10, 2013

Feel Bad For January 2013: Choice Cuts



Fresh off their fattening Holiday festivities your favorite motley crew of malcontent, miscreant, ne’er-do-well music lovers, loosened their belts, let forth some mighty gas and recollected their choice cuts of 2012. This year's curator is @BoogieStudio22 and it was a smooth transfer of power from @Rockstar_Aimz who deserves a rowdy round of applause for her outstanding tenure in 2012    Download





1. Title: All Over You
Artist: Dead Exs
Album (year): Resurrection (2012)
Submitted By: tincanman (http://tincanland.wordpress.com)
Comments: Rock and roll doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, it rarely should. Guitars. Attitude. Mud (see song video: http://bit.ly/Wcnsod). The Dead Exs (http://thedeadexs.com) are my favourite new band of 2012; what the Black Keys would be if Dan Auerbach didn’t have his head so far up his own ass.
2. Title: I Gotta Get Shorty Out of Jail
Artist: Andre Williams & The Sadies
Album (2012): Night and Day
Submitted By: @popa2unes
Comments: Canada’s soul singer/cult legend Andre Williams with The Sadies’ Jon Langford, long-time line-up of Dallas Good on guitars and keys, his brother Travis Good on guitars and fiddle, Mike Belitsky on drums, and the mighty Sean Dean on the bass, Matt Verta-Ray of Heavy Trash, Danny Kroha of Detroit’s own gutter-blues The Gories, featuring fabulously retro cool back-up vocals by Sallie Timms and Kelly Hogan and directed by Jon Spencer
3. Title: Impossible Sky
Artist: Woods
Album: Bend Beyond (2012)
Submitted by: Erschen
Comments: This is a sunny power pop gem. “without looking up, I can see the most impossible sky”. They can make a gloomy line like that so optimistic.
4. Title: Everyone
Artist: Ancient Whales
Album (year): Ancient Whales Birthing (2012)
Submitted By: The Mad Mackerel music blog
Comments: This track comes from a six track album released right at the beginning of 2012, which may mean it didn’t garner the attention it truly deserved. Everyone is anchored by a huge, catchy, insistent riff and a simple lyric while drums clatter away behind it. An absolute sonic treasure!
5. Title: People Of This Land
Artist: Lincoln Durham
Album: The Shovel vs. The Howling Bones (2012)
Submitted By: toomuchcountry
Comments: I discovered this song by listening all the way to the end of one of Bill Frater’s great Freight Train Boogie podcasts (ftbpodcasts.com) early in 2012. Great track in my opinion.
6. Title: Teenage Gravity
Artist: Kasey Anderson & The Honkies
Album (Year): Let The Bloody Moon Rise (2012)
Submitted by: Simon (Beat Surrender)
Comments: Love this version of the track from the 2012 album Let the Bloody Moon Rise, it first appeared on Kasey’s album Nowhere Nights that was released in 2010, I was in two minds whether to submit this track or one of the versions of his song Exit Ghost that’s also a big favourite of mine too, links for the Daytrotter version and with Star Anna. The man himself his currently on a hiatus – hope to hear from him sooner rather than later.
7. Title: Some Kind of Devil
Artist: Flint Hill Specials
Album (year): The Wigg EP (2012)
Submitted By: TheOtherBrit
Comments: This project from Jeff Moore of National Grain is pretty awesome, especially when you throw a few District Attorneys into the mix for the live show.
8. Title: Turn Away
Artist: forgetters
Album (year): forgetters (2012)
Submitted By: scratchedsoul
Comments: This record was the long awaited return of Blake Schwarzenbach (Jawbreaker, Jets to Brazil). He had last been heard from in 2012 with an (excellent) 4 song single and this full album is a real treat. Blake’s quality songwriting is throughout the record, this song being a highlight for me. The record was produced by J. Robbins (Jawbox, Burning Airlines, Office of Future Plans) and his crisp production just adds to the enjoyment of the record. Only a full-length Paul Westerberg record would have been more exciting for me in 2012. There’s always 2013 for that.
9. Title: As Close As I Came to Being Right
Artist: Rhett Miller (w/Roseanne Cash)
Album: The Dreamer (2012)
Submitted by: Gorrck
Comment: Rhett played an opening set for the Old 97s shows in Phoenix and played some of his solo work. This is my favorite off his latest solo effort.
10. Title: Museum of Flight
Artist: Damien Jurado
Album (year): Maraqopa
Submitted By: Beldo aka @TheSecondSingle
Comments: I had never really gotten into Jurado, but starting with this song (maybe my favorite of the year) and working backwards through his catalog, I’m starting to think he might make a damn fine successor to Neil.
11. Title: House Carpenter
Artist: Lonesome Sisters with Riley Baugus
Album (year): Lonesome Scenes (2012)
Submitted By: Truersound
Comments: The Lonesome Sisters were a fantastic discovery for me this year, doesn’t hurt to have Riley Baugus on banjo either, but what really blew me away the first time hearing this album was this hauntingly beautiful rendition of House Carpenter. Also called The Demon Lover and other titles, House Carpenter is one of those timeless english ballads (this one a warning to women about the dire consequences of temptation and infidelity) that have survived the ages thanks to the tenacity of appalachian ballad singers. In this tradition, I think the Lonesome Sisters have done a damn fine job.
12. Title: Nostalgic For…
Artist: The Wind-Up Birds
Album (year): The Land (2012)
Submitted By: April @ http://nowthissound.com (Now This Sound Is Brave)
Comments: I first heard the Wind-Up Birds’ first full-length album, The Land, back in May, and it still holds a prominent place in my personal listening rotation. The band are writing songs right now, so I’m excited about more charged and charging songs from the Leeds quartet.
13. Title: One Of Every Color
Artist: Browan Lollar
Album: For The Givers & The Takers (2012)
Submitted by: Corey Flegel (This Is American Music)
14. Title: A Few Towns More
Artist: McDougall
Album (year): A Few Towns More (2012)
Submitted By: Bryan Childs (ninebullets.net)
Comments: Favorite song from my favorite album of the year.
15. Title: Here Comes My Baby
Artist: Mic Harrison And The High Score
Album (year): Still Wanna Fight (2012)
Submitted By: annieTUFF
Comments: When I found out the theme this month was Choice Cuts I knew right away that I wanted to choose a song from this album…then I had to double check that I hadn’t already submitted a song from it this year. THEN my problem was which song from the album was I gonna choose! This was actually really hard, because I love all the songs, and it was a hard choice between this song and “This Is A Notice” (so check out that song too). I might be a little bit partial to these fellers, Mic Harrison and The High Score are as nice and genuine group of guys as you can ever meet. They’re road warriors, going out on to play shows just about every weekend, and then back to their jobs during the week. That’s dedication. Do yourself a favor and download/order this album, and check out their website and see when they’re rolling thru your town. www.micharrison.com
16. Title: Wrecked
Artist: Turnpike Troubadours
Album (year): Goodbye Normal Street (2012)
Submitted By: Rockstar Aimz
Comments: One of my favorite songs of the year from one of my favorite albums of the year!
17. Title: Wined And Dined
Artist: Men On The Border
Album (year): Shine! [2012]
Submitted By: hoosier buddy
Comments: This song is from an album of songs by Syd Barrett, as interpreted by Men On The Border. The band chose to emphasize the positive aspects of Syd’s spirit and music, and the resulting music is bright, breezy, and slightly psychedelic. Wined And Dined is a lovely sonic vacation to the countryside. Try the psilocybin tapenade!
18. Title: Movement and Location
Artist: Punch Brothers
Album (year): Who’s Feeling Young Now? (2012)
Submitted By: @philnorman
Comments: No album I listened to more in 2012.
19. Title: The Descent
Artist: Bob Mould
Album (year): Silver Age (2012)
Submitted By: Verbow
Comments: So I had about 12 songs I thought about using, but in the end I went the simpleton’s route and chose my favorite song off my favorite album of 2012. This song is classic Bob all the way – and after hearing this song you will not be able to get it out of your head for days. Rock on Bob!
20. Title: Guttersnipe
Artist: Bhi Bhiman
Album (year): Bhiman (2012)
Submitted by: BoogieStudio22
Comments: This is singer/songwriter Bhi Bhiman’s second album, but I first learned about him on Noisetrade earlier in 2012. I keep coming back to this album and this song in particular. This song ‘spoke’ to me while I was making some changes in my professional life. I love the last two lines of the song (felt like my mantra for a while in early- to mid-2012):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...